Sunday, October 29, 2017

A Call to Worship and Obedience

Daily Bible Verse
Psalm 95:1-7 (NIV)
Come, let us sing for joy to the LORD;
    let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation.
Let us come before Him with thanksgiving
    and extol Him with music and song.
For the LORD is the great God,
    the great King above all gods.
 In His hand are the depths of the earth,
    and the mountain peaks belong to Him.
 The sea is His, for He made it,
    and His hands formed the dry land.
 Come, let us bow down in worship,
    let us kneel before the LORD our Maker;
 for He is our God
    and we are the people of His pasture,
    the flock under His care.
Today, if only you would hear His voice,

Note: 
     Anytime you see "LORD" or "GOD" in all capital letters (at least in the New King James version), it is referring to God's Hebrew name "Yhwh," the Eternal God. The name is so sacred to the Hebrews that they wouldn't say it or write it. Instead, they chose to represent His name as "LORD" or "GOD." In English, it has been translated as "Yahweh."
     You'll also note in the New King James version that any reference made to the Lord or to Christ is capitalized, so He, Him, the Word, etc...The New International Version Bible (that I'm using) doesn't use this standard, so I change it to post here. When I was in the fourth grade, we had indoor recess one day and I remember writing bible verses on the classroom chalkboard. My teacher, who was also a member of my church came up and stated very emphatically as he corrected my writing, "Always, always capitalize the first letter whenever referring to our Lord!" I have always remembered that because of his passion in correcting this mistake. I cringe whenever I read references to Him that are not given this respect. I feel blessed being born in this time and this place. Children today would probably get in trouble for writing bible verses on a school chalkboard, and I imagine a teacher would never mention God in front of a student. It's such a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment