Tuesday, January 9, 2018

A Bird Called Wanda

I came home from church Sunday to find this on top of the washing machine...
(Notice the box says "Free Range Turkey"). When I peeked inside, I found this:
A whole lot smaller than any turkey I've ever seen, and still alive.
My husband got home from church a few minutes before I did and when he opened the garage door he saw this baby finch just sitting there. When he approached her, she didn't move so he picked her up thinking maybe she was frozen from the gruesome temperatures we've been having. So, he took her in the house and put her in the box. We went to lunch and when we came home she was still standing there in the same corner of the box. She hadn't moved an inch since we left. We decided to see if she would take any food or water.
She allowed my husband to hand feed her. After her tummy was full, she decided to just hang out and watch the game.
She actually sat there, perched on his thumb for over 2 hours. She drank water from an eyedropper. We deduced that she was blind and unable to fly, so I looked up birdcages on FB Marketplace, found one for sale in town, and went and picked it up. In getting her situated in her new cage, we discovered that she could, in fact, fly. Why she chose to keep that a secret for so long will forever be a mystery. My husband cleaned off her eyes with some water on a q-tip. It must have felt nice because she didn't try to pull away. Hopefully, her eyes will clear up and we'll be able to set her free. In the meantime, she seems to be coming out of the daze she was in. She's now exploring her cage, drinking water, and eating food on her own. One eye still looks swollen, but the other seems fine now. I love these little unexpected blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Shari I love this blessing :-). It is a blessing for me to read this, this day. You made me feel love with your wonderful writing skills. Michael saw this to and love it :-D. Thank you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Sue Ann. I'm so glad it made a difference for you today. I'm praying for you both. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete