Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Campaign to end loneliness

This week our prayer group is focusing on people we know who are lonely. In researching material about this growing people group, I came across a website called Campaign To End Loneliness. It's based in the U.K. and is bringing awareness to Seniors who often go for long periods of time without any interaction with another human being. Going through their website, I understand better what my mom tries to convey even though she isn't alone (my dad is still living), and she isn't homebound (she runs errands nearly every day). Nearly all of her friends have passed away. Her sisters live ten hours away. My brother travels a lot for his job so he isn't around much. So, even though she sees a lot of people during the week, it isn't always connecting with other people, and it's that connection that she needs. It's hard to explain, but I'm more aware of it now.
Both her and Dad have said for decades that they hated retirement. It's difficult to fill the days. They're bored. As they get older and have more difficulties, the boredom grows. It's easy to become depressed. If my parents go through these negative feelings, imagine someone who lives alone and is homebound. This video illustrates the feelings that emerge in that situation.



P.S. Please don't tell my mom I talked about her on social media :D She's kind of funny about stuff like that.

2 comments: