Sunday, May 14, 2017

Happy Mother's Day 2017


     I have two daughters. The days that I gave birth were the two happiest days of my entire life. They are both blessings, and I thank God everyday for them. How they turned out so great is a mystery to me even now.
     When you have a baby, there’s no manual, no advanced training, no simulation exercise that can possibly prepare you for the day to day challenges that occur. Sure, you can look up “how to treat diaper rash,” you can ask around for recommendations for babysitters, nursery schools, etc., you can even look up baby names that mean some characteristic you hope will be prominent in your child. But the more subtle things, you have to learn on the fly, and let me tell you, it can get pretty scary. “What’s she crying for? Should I call the Doctor? Does she need fed, changed, attention, sleep? Should I call the Doctor? How much formula does she need? Should I call the Doctor? How will cereal affect her? Should I call the Doctor? What’s the latest thinking on sleep positions: laying her on her back, side, tummy? Should I call the Doctor? Stuff like that, you just have to figure out for your particular child and situation.  Sometimes, oftentimes, it’s trial and error, with an emphasis on error.
     I’m very thankful for my parents. They did an excellent job raising me, (IMO) and I learned a lot about being a parent from them. I feel blessed to have been born to them, especially because there are people in this world who should never have children, and several people in this world who miraculously survived despite their upbringing. However, I think, most of the time, there are parents like me, who tried to learn from their own upbringing, who did the best we could, prayed, and continue to pray, in the hopes of creating a generation better than our own, one that will make the world a better place.

Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment