Monday, December 3, 2018

Pray for the elderly

     Gray hair is a crown of glory; it is gained in a righteous life.
Proverbs 16:31 ESV
The "elderly" is probably defined differently for each person. When I was younger, the elderly were easily defined (by me) as anyone over 50, but as I've aged, my perception of "old" has changed. Now, I'm thinking anyone over 85 is "older" but I'm really not comfortable assigning a chronological age to it anymore.
     My parents are both 80 years old chronologically, but physically they are years apart. Mentally, they are both much younger. My dad, whose physical body is failing him still sees himself as a much younger person, which I can completely relate to because I still feel like I'm 16 (okay, maybe 20).
Over the past couple of years, I kept buying my dad things to make his life easier, or to make him more comfortable, or help him get around easier. Finally, he couldn't stand it any longer and said that I was giving him gifts as if he were an old person and that he's not ready to give into that notion.
     I'm reminded of the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button", and how he started life as an old person and ended life as a newborn. There is an amazing similarity between being born and dying, between being an infant and being old. but as others have said, it's the "in between" that matters. What we do with the space in between birth and death, our life in this life determines our eternal destiny in the afterlife.
     Dad told my mom that he figures he has about 2 months to live. On one hand, it's difficult for me to believe because he's been telling me that he doesn't have long to live for as long as I can remember (he suffers from depression). Additionally, he doesn't act anything like my late husband did right before he died. But I have heard of people knowing it was nearing the end and so that's always in the back of my mind. I talked to him last night and he said he's at peace with it.
     Maybe I'm just rambling here and not making any sense, but my dad is on my mind constantly because I know that he's not much longer for this world, whether it be 2 months or 2 days or 2 years. We have so many prayers for the older people in our lives. We pray for their health: mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. We pray for their comfort and care. We pray for their salvation. I want to be able to see him again in the next life, but he is so set in his ways and doesn't want to talk about religion. He used to not allow any political or religious discussion but he's been more open to both topics the past couple of years. Still, I can't get through to him.
     Please think of at least one elderly person and pray for them this week. During the holidays it can be an especially difficult time for them. Offer to help them with their Christmas shopping, decorating their home, addressing Christmas cards, and running errands. Send a card or note. Drop in for an unexpected visit. Remember especially those who are housebound and isolated; those without family. You have the power to make a big difference in someone's life before the year ends. Are you up to the challenge?

Please join our prayer group as we spend the week praying for the elderly. Please ask God for guidance as to how to make a difference in the lives of those older than ourselves. Listen for God's direction. He answers all prayers.

I'll post a daily reminder to pray on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment