Tuesday, January 22, 2019

A homeless woman

My only encounter with a homeless person was a woman who used to live on the sidewalk in front of the downtown library several years ago. She never asked anything of anyone that I saw. I drove past her every morning on my way to work and she was always diligently transferring her possessions from one trash bag to another. I often wondered what her story was but never had the courage to ask. One time I did stop and give her some food and money. She couldn't eat the food I offered because of allergies, but she accepted the money with a nod of the head. Another time I took her a box of trash bags because I noticed hers were wearing thin. She asked if they were contractor trash bags. I said they weren't, and she waved me on, talking - or rather muttering to herself about quality bags as if I wasn't there. I didn't know what to do or say, so I left. I felt like my two attempts were failures and so I gave up (way too easily).
She was there, day after day for years, surviving really harsh winters, and I only stopped twice in all that time. I see these stories on the news about a good Samaritan helping a homeless person get back on their feet and I feel that I failed her. My hope is that she is with Jesus now and that I've grown in my faith to the point where I'm more confident and able to try again.

 Whoever closes his ear to the cry of the poor will himself call out and not be answered.
Proverbs 21:13 ESV

Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who stripped him and beat him and departed, leaving him half dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road, and when he saw him he passed by on the other side. So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he journeyed, came to where he was, and when he saw him, he had compassion. He went to him and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he set him on his own animal and brought him to an inn and took care of him. ...
Luke 10:30-37 ESV
*******
Please join our prayer group as we spend the week praying for the homeless. Please ask God for guidance as to how to make a difference in the lives of those who are struggling. Listen for God's direction. He answers all prayers.

I'll post a daily reminder to pray on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment