Thursday, February 28, 2019

What comes from your mouth

It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, 
but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person.”
Matthew 15:11 ESV

I've been watching what I say this week (more closely) and filtering what I'm going to say by thinking first and speaking second. I didn't realize how negative I can be! Just little things, but they still create an atmosphere around me that people pick up on. Example: when asked what I thought of lunch, I was going to say, "The service was slow." But, since I thought first, I turned it around to, "the food was wonderful." It's just that small little twist, speaking the positive instead of the negative that not only changes how others perceive you but also affects your outlook. You will have a much better day if you look for the good in people, situations, feelings.
I read a book about positivity several decades ago. It was excellent and I wish I still had it or at least remembered the title, but the one piece of advice that has stuck with me all of these years is take note while you're speaking...how many times do you say a negative word? How many times do you say: can't, won't, no, 'un'-words like unable, unwilling, unlikely, etc.? When I started noticing these things in my own speech, I was amazed at how many negative words I used. It's the 'glass is half-empty vs. half-full' of language. Plus, I discovered that when I changed how I spoke to include a positive selection of vocabulary, I genuinely felt better and happier. Give it a try. Let me know how it works for you.

*****
Please join us this week as we pray that our tongues be tamed and that our words are fitting of an image-bearer of Christ. I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment