Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Self-Control

Image by bknis from Pixabay
I have a client, actually, it's the client's contractor, who makes my life miserable! He seems to feel like it's his duty to stretch out this project as long as possible by constantly asking for more details. I try to get specifically what details he needs and he just keeps repeating the same vague request. It's very stressful especially since he cc's the client whenever he's belittling me.
     When I get emotional, whether it's sad, angry, anxious, I write. When I write at work, it's usually in the form of an email. Usually, I send it and then regret it later, but yesterday, I took a deep breath and just sent it to my boss instead of this yahoo. I felt better for having written it out and my boss can tone it down and take out the frustration and anger and still get my point across.
     We can do the same thing in almost any circumstance, especially those of us who have a hard time verbalizing what's bothering us. Writing or journaling is a way to express yourself (and it gets easier the more you do it) and then you have the opportunity to forward it to someone you trust, someone who can help or sift through what you're wanting to say. The beauty of it also is that you don't have to share it at all. Once you've written your peace, you can store it away and move on.
     Self-control is necessary in order to function in society, but it can also cause pent up resentment and anger. Whatever it is that you're controlling could manifest itself elsewhere and become a source of depression, anxiety, alcoholism, over-eating, etc. We need an outlet for our emotions.
     We're to be in constant prayer. Use some of that time to just talk to God about what's going on in your life, in your heart and head. He already knows, but it's such a comfort to be able to take everything to Him. He wants to hear from us. It will make you stronger mentally and emotionally; it will bring you peace.

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control
2 Timothy 1:7 ESV

*****
Please join me this week in praying for those who hide their emotions, for whatever reason, that they may open up to you and that you may comfort them or help them heal in a timely and healthy way. So often people who hide their emotions are the ones who are in the direst need to talk to someone. Offer your ear to listen and/or your shoulder to cry on. You don't have to offer suggestions, cures, or anything. You just need to be there.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment