Monday, June 15, 2020

Today is a gift


from Kung Fu Panda

As Oogway once said: 
Yesterday is history, 
tomorrow is a mystery, 
but today is a gift. 
That is why it is called the present.*

This week may be a little different as far as praying ... I'd like for us to do a little self-reflection. I can't help but think the rapture will occur in our lifetime and may even be just around the corner. Even if I'm wrong, we're not guaranteed tomorrow. I get to thinking about this stuff and what would I do differently if I knew that tomorrow wouldn't come? How would I spend my time? What would be my biggest regret?
     My intention is to start each day giving thanks, and then check in with God as to what He would like me to do that day. There was a story I heard along those lines where the person put God first, giving up her wants and desires for His. It was just a wonderful testimony of trusting God and making Him an integral part of our lives. 
     When I originally started putting this week's topic together it was about "tomorrow", but then I realized that it's really about the possible absence of tomorrow, which makes it about "today."
     I am forever planning and mapping out my days, managing my time to the extent that I get caught up in the future, what I'll do next, instead of enjoying the present, living in the moment. 
     I also spend a lot of time reflecting on the past, remembering, rehashing, regretting certain events. It's kind of a shame because we're giving this fresh start each and every day. We need to cherish it and spend it wisely, doing God's will. That's my hope for this week of prayer. I hope you'll join me.

Do not boast about tomorrow, 
for you do not know what a day may bring.
Proverbs 27:1 ESV

* From Kung Fu Panda 1. I also think it is a quote from a philosopher, but didn't have time to look that up.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for today; asking the Father what His will is for us for this day. Let's also pray to keep what's most important always at the forefront of our thoughts and actions. Pray for boldness and encouragement to be Christlike in all that we do and His image-bearer to everyone He sends our way.
 
I'll post daily reminders on:

No comments:

Post a Comment