Monday, November 12, 2018

Thankful for our Veterans

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." 
John 15:13
Even though Jesus was speaking of Himself in that quote, it is what our military does for all of us. Spending only one day a year to honor them and thank them isn't nearly enough.

There was a man who worked somewhere near our office twenty-plus years ago who had vanity plates that said Iwo Jima (or some variation of letters, but you knew what it was saying). I didn't know any better back then, but now I wish I would have sought him out and at least shook his hand. I wish I would have told him "thank you". My grandpa, dad, and late husband were all very knowledgeable about the wars. I would watch the movies with them, and I visited a lot of museums, but I never did any sort of personal gesture.

Since remarrying, I've watched my husband go out of his way to acknowledge the veterans he comes in contact with. If he sees one at a restaurant, he'll secretly pay for the veteran's meal, or if he meets one on a street, he'll at least stop the soldier, tell him "thank you," and shake his hand.  These are just small, easy things to do, but how many of us do this? Where would we be without these brave men and women? By even just acknowledging them, you're letting someone know that they are seen, recognized, noticed.

Please join our prayer group as we spend the week praying for our veterans and active military soldiers. Please ask God for guidance as to how to honor these men and women; ask for the unsaved soldiers to receive salvation, and ask that any residual effects from the wars leave them so that they may enjoy the rest of their lives in peace.

I'll post a daily reminder to pray on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment