Friday, November 30, 2018

Do not judge

     A middle-aged couple who were recently saved attended our last church. During Sunday School someone asked them what their perception of Christians was before they were saved. Their answer was that Christians were judgmental. I wasn't surprised and often see us (as a whole) as being judgmental and self-righteous. 
     Don't be offended. I'm not saying that each of us is like that, but there are times when I do see a bit of the Pharisee mentality rear its ugly head. Most of the time it's when we mix "values" with politics. It's on both sides, too. I won't go into the issues. I just want to suggest that we need to look at ourselves from a non-believer's standpoint once in a while to see if we are being Christlike in our own lives while we're eagerly pointing out the sins of others.  As Jesus said, "Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye." Matthew 7:5 NKJV
     Personally, to help keep myself from being (overly) judgmental, I remind myself of John 8:7...“He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” It's really difficult not to pass judgment on people who are different than us, and it's really easy to get angry and hold a grudge. However, as Christians, we're called to love our neighbors as we love ourselves. (paraphrased; Mark 12:31)
     Today's Daily Bible Verse made me think about all of this.
“Judge not, and you shall not be judged. 
Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. 
Forgive, and you will be forgiven."
Luke 6:37 NKJV

No comments:

Post a Comment