Tuesday, July 9, 2019

A hard heart


I'm dealing with several people in my life right now who don't seem to have the capacity, or even the willingness to forgive. It breaks my heart. Nothing in this life is unforgivable if the person admits their error, apologizes and is willing to do better. I look back on all of the mistakes I've made in my life and try to imagine if family and friends didn't forgive me, where would I be right now? I look back at those mistakes and remember them and remember the second chances I've had whenever I come across someone who's made a mistake. How can I not give them a second chance? How can I possibly judge them for what they've done wrong in the past when I have a sin-filled, mistake-ridden past myself?
     I went to a motorcycle rally several years ago and lived in a house with a local, his family, and about 20 other bikers from all across the U.S. We ate dinner outside at card tables and I sat with two men whom I hadn't met. They introduced themselves and one of the men told me he had spent several years in jail for killing a man. He was completely serious. He told me all about it and how awful he felt about it. He chose to be open with the people he met so they would know something about him and could either condemn him for his past or choose to get to know the man he is now. I was so intrigued by this gentle soul as he told me his story. While serving time, he became a Christain. He had made his peace with God and had done his time in the eyes of the law. He remarried and he and his wife went to different prisons to tell his story and share the gospel with inmates, giving them hope and letting them know that Christ died for their sins. This man was an artist. He was gentle and kind and I consider it a blessing to have met him.
     Learn to forgive and forget. Learn not to judge. A hard heart is an ugly heart and reflects on the person who wears it.
“Judge not, and you shall not be judged. 
Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. 
Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 
Give, and it will be given to you: 
good measure, pressed down, shaken together, 
and running over will be put into your bosom. 
For with the same measure that you use, 
it will be measured back to you.”
Luke 6:37-38

*****
Please join me this week in praying for someone who is judgmental. Pray that their heart is softened and that they become more open-minded for those who live their lives differently. Then, finally, please pray that the judgmental person becomes an honorable image-bearer for Christ; someone that a non-Christian will feel he/she can approach.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment