Monday, May 11, 2020

How can I help?



During this time, many people and businesses need help. Depending on a person's situation or level of pride, they may not ask for help, though. So, I was wondering how do I find those who are suffering in silence? Then, I remembered, "Oh yeah, pray about it." I can't believe that isn't my first response to everything I do, think, wonder about, dwell on, ... I'm working on it; I want to take everything to the Lord. We don't have to go through anything alone. We can take everything to Him in prayer.
     Last week I wrote about some of the sad and scary aspects of what's going on in our country, so this week, I want to talk about the good. So many people are reaching out to help others. The mask-making is an incredible example of people seeing a need and taking it upon themselves to fulfill that need.
     Another selfless act that seemed to spread was all of the people who gave away their stimulus money to those who were in need or had a greater need. 
Facebook groups formed just to share information about navigating unemployment, or receiving stimulus money, or finding a job. Other groups formed to offer emotional support for similar situations like being quarantined alone. Even though everything we've been going through is completely new to all of us, we have pulled together, identified problems, and come up with solutions. We're working together while separated. We're loving and sharing and reaching out using whatever tools we have, and if we don't have the right tools, then we repurpose the old ones or invent brand new ones. We could have let this destroy us, but we didn't. We're survivors!
     It warms my heart to see so many do so much for others. I'm so inspired by my mom. She doesn't consider herself someone who is vulnerable. She seems to think that one's mental age takes precedence over one's physical age, therefore she is not "old" and she's only a "senior" when discounts are concerned. When the stay-at-home order first went into effect she was thinking of every possible scenario and how she could help others. 
     I'm praying for people and their specific needs and for people I don't know in more of a generic prayer, like, those who have been unemployed and haven't received unemployment yet; those who were self-employed and have had no income this whole time, etc. This is something we can all be doing and I'm sure all of you are. Some needs that I'm aware of:
- donations to food pantries/banks
- most charities have seen a drop in donations, so if you're able to give monetarily, consider that
- support local small businesses, restaurants, etc. You can buy gift certificates from most of them, especially if they aren't open to the public yet or are only open with limited services
- Target Dayton needs volunteers to deliver meals
- Handivan (Brookville, Ohio) needs volunteers to drive people to doctor's appointments
- contact neighbors, church family, etc. to see if they need anything, or just call to say 'hi', especially those who live alone.
- make cards for nursing home residents
- pray for God to guide you to someone who needs help, or who needs companionship, and/or someone with who you can share the gospel

‘If one of your brethren becomes poor, 
and falls into poverty among you, 
then you shall help him, like a stranger or a Sojourner, 
that he may live with you.
Leviticus 25:35 ESV 

*********
Please join me this week in praying for guidance as to what we can do, either individually, or collectively, to help those who are less fortunate than we are. Let's pray for God to show us someone in need who we can help.
 
I'll post daily reminders on:



No comments:

Post a Comment