Tuesday, September 8, 2020

Avoid idleness

Image by Gerd Altmann from Pixabay

When we all went on lockdown, I was really surprised how it affected me. I didn't realize how much of my identity, or at least, my self-perceived identity was wrapped up in what I did from day to day.
     The biggest hit was church. I had just discovered my "calling" and realized where my passion lies (missionaries and the unreached) and how to combine all of that with my spiritual gift. It was like I had climbed this huge difficult mountain and was within an arm's length of reaching the very top only to discover the peak was covered with ice and I couldn't grab hold of anything to pull myself up. All I could do was stand on the ledge and wait for the ice to melt.
     Next was my occupation. Without having that daily routine, I was lost. I believe we as humans need some sort of occupation to feel complete. It could be our vocation, home improvement projects, organizing, gardening, creating, but something that uses our skills, and something that is set apart from leisure. (I hope I'm explaining that right.) In other words, something besides just watching the grass grow. We need activity and human interaction.
     Since yesterday was Labor Day, it occurred to me that there are many people who still are nowhere near to getting their lives back yet. Many, many people are still working from home, others have lost their jobs, and still others have health issues that make going out in public too risky. Let's remember them in our prayers this week.

In all toil there is profit, but mere talk tends only to poverty.
Proverbs 14:23 ESV

*********
Please join me this week in praying for those who are unemployed. Pray that they find jobs soon. Let's also pray for those who are isolated due to working from home or because their health or age makes it difficult or unwise to leave their homes. Pray that friends, neighbors, relatives check in on them and that they in turn reach out to others. Pray that God softens their hearts from being prideful when it comes to asking for help. Pray also for their physical, emotional, and mental health. Finally, pray that God inspires them to use their spiritual gifts, even during times of isolation, so that He may be glorified.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible  #LaborDay #occupation #create #spiritualgift


No comments:

Post a Comment