Saturday, September 26, 2020

Respect your elders

 Image by S. Hermann & F. Richter from Pixabay

I honestly think this is one of the problems with the world today...disrespect for the elderly. Maybe it's a disciplinary problem, maybe it's a generational problem, or maybe it's just something that's a part of the upcoming tribulation period. Whatever the reason, it's just a sad situation.
     We lose so much when we don't seek the advice of those who have lived longer than us, lived through what we're going through now. We lose their wisdom, knowledge, history.
     Additionally, as we get older, some of us begin to feel unneeded, unimportant. We may even start to dread or become anxious about our futures as "senior citizens." We worry about the time when our kids try to tell us what's best for us when they start treating us as incompetent. Honestly, I'm projecting my mom, here. I try to get her interested in things so she doesn't just sit around and worry, or worse, just sit around and do nothing. When I don't visit, I feel guilty, and when I do visit, she makes me feel guilty for not visiting more often or staying longer. In her worry that I'm going to treat her like she can't do certain things anymore, she ends up treating me like I'm a child. I don't do that to her except when it comes to lifting and moving things because she refuses to ask for help, and it angers me!
     Anyway, this was kind of a rabbit trail, but my point is, we need to respect the elderly and realize that they/we have value. I'm always so surprised to look in the mirror and see grey hairs and wrinkles, etc. But, every time I go to the local grocery anymore, I get asked if I'm "eligible" for any discounts (meaning do I have a Golden Buckeye card).
     So, anyway, respect your elders!

“You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, 
and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.
Leviticus 19:32 ESV
     John MacArthur wrote: "Showing respect for the older man acknowledged God's blessing of long life and the wisdom that comes with it."*


*MacArthur, John (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible, New King James version.
     Thomas Nelson, Inc. Nashville, TN.

*********
Please join me this week in praying that we remember to treat one another with respect. During this time of incredible divisiveness, when it's so easy to get angry with those who have opposing viewpoints, we have to remember, that no matter what, we are all brothers and sisters. Our goal here is to bring the lost to know Christ. We can't do that without showing respect to everyone we meet. 

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible  #respect #elderly #SeniorCitizens #aging

No comments:

Post a Comment