Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Respect your parents

 Image by Alex park from Pixabay

When I got home from vacation, I immediately called my mom, because I figured she would be waiting to hear from me. She calls multiple times a day normally, but since I didn't have any cell service where I was, all we could do was email.
     The first thing she says is, "I figure you've been home for several hours." I immediately went on the defensive and told her we just got home and that I called her right away. Besides, I emailed her before we left telling her we weren't leaving until almost check-out time. For some reason, she didn't believe what I wrote.
     Then, she tells me how she worked at getting this metal cart upstairs from the basement, by herself. I lost it. I got so angry that she would do something so foolish when she has family who is willing and able to help her with such things.
     Until my dad passed away, I was convinced that he would die from falling down those stairs and hitting his head on the concrete floor. The image of mom dying that way came to mind as she was describing getting the cart upstairs.
     After we hung up, I told my husband and he said that she was probably just very proud of herself for being able to do that. She's trying to hold onto her independence. I realized he was right. I felt bad for getting angry at her, but at the same time, I can't help but get upset with her when she does something dangerous. She worries about us treating her like she's frail or incompetent, which is understandable, but at the same time, I don't feel like any of us do that. So this constantly trying to prove that she can still do everything is actually making the situation worse.
     I have to keep in mind that she's my mother, the one who raised me and who has taken care of me well into adulthood, and respect her. I also have to respect who she is, which is a woman who has always prided herself on doing whatever she sets her mind to.

“Honor your father and your mother, 
that your days may be long in the land that 
the Lord your God is giving you.
Exodus 20:12 ESV

*********
Please join me this week in praying that we remember to treat one another with respect. During this time of incredible divisiveness, when it's so easy to get angry with those who have opposing viewpoints, we have to remember, that no matter what, we are all brothers and sisters. Our goal here is to bring the lost to know Christ. We can't do that without showing respect to everyone we meet. 

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible  #respect #mother #parents #father #aging


No comments:

Post a Comment