Monday, September 7, 2020

The Elevator

 

As some of you know from last Thursday's post, I haven't had a great week (or two), but even when things seem to be overbearing, God usually steps in with something to make us smile.
     Wednesday morning I pulled in the parking lot and the woman parked next to me was putting on her mask. She waited until I stopped my car before getting out. We made eye contact. I got my stuff out of the back seat and so was no more than 3 car widths behind her as we walked across the lot. When I got to the building door I saw the elevator door was open and assumed she would hold it for me, but she didn't. Even if there was some chance that she didn't know I was right behind her, the way our lobby is laid out with mirrors, she would've seen me walking in the door AND she would have heard me open the door. 
     This is the slowest elevator on Earth (everyone says so), so I was a little perturbed that I was going to have wait for it to inch up to the 5th floor, let her off and then crawl back down to the lobby. I was grumbling to myself how rude it was of her not to hold the elevator for me, and what's wrong with people?! Then, I took a deep breath and said a little prayer, apologizing to God for making such a big deal out of something so trivial. I changed my attitude and thought maybe she tried to hit the 'door open' button but accidentally hit the 'door close' one instead. Maybe she was depressed and didn't want to hear my cheery, "have a nice day," as I left the elevator on the 2nd floor. 
     It wasn't but a few seconds after I finished these thoughts that the elevator dinged. I was shocked. That was fast! And then, the door opened, and the woman was still on there! We both looked completely surprised. She said, "I don't know what happened. The elevator just stopped and then went back down. That's never happened before!"
     I got on the elevator grinning from ear to ear. I knew what happened. Isn't God awesome?!


#faith #life #humor #GodWink #GodThing #prayer #patience

No comments:

Post a Comment