Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Know the word of truth

 Image by andrewsbird from Pixabay

This is why I like to look at more than one version of the Bible, especially if I'm unclear about something... For this particular verse (1 Timothy 2:15), the NKJV says, "Be diligent..." but the ESV says, "Do your best..." Those two phrases don't denote the same amount of urgency (IMO).
     My husband is always saying, "The best way to recognize error is to know truth." He's heard that saying from various sources, and I've personally taken it to heart. When I think back to all of the misconceptions and just flat-out wrong biblical "interpretations" that I've believed in the past, it really upsets me. I had a hard time understanding the bible and so I just took people's word about what it meant. It turns out they were wrong. Maybe they didn't understand it either.
     Several years ago, my husband got me a John MacArthur Study Bible, and introduced me to commentaries. I attend a church that is focused on preaching from the Bible, verse by verse and so I'm learning now. I was biblically illiterate and I wasn't alone. Too many Christians don't take the time to read and study the Bible. It's God's guidebook for how to live our life here on Earth, and how to know we'll spend eternity with Him.
     When I was growing up, it was a "thing" for people to try "find" themselves. Everything they were searching for is in the Bible. Why am I here? What's the meaning of life? How can I find true peace? True love? True joy? It's all in there.
     Don't let the quantity of your biblical knowledge prevent you from sharing the gospel, though. You can comfortably and honestly share your testimony. If you're asked a question that you don't know the answer to, don't guess, just say you'll find out and get back to them.
     I don't mean to sound preachy, but this emphasis on "truth" has come up so many times over the past few weeks that I felt compelled to share it with you, and for us to pray about it. In my mind, truth leads to trust. We're less inclined to listen to someone who constantly lies than we are to someone who we can trust to be honest with us. 
- Know truth and speak truth.
- Be confident in your belief. 
- Share your testimony. 
- Study scripture.

Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, 
a worker who does not need to be ashamed, 
rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15 NKJV

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, 
a worker who has no need to be ashamed, 
rightly handling the word of truth.
2 Timothy 2:15 ESV

*********
Please join me this week in praying for truth. Let's pray that God reveals the truth to those who are blind to it, believers as well as unbelievers. Many are misinformed. We need to share the truth of the gospel and be compelling and direct in our testimony. Please pray that God paves the way for us to share, softening hearts, giving us courage, strength, and wisdom.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible #salvation #Jesus #heaven #faith #testimony

No comments:

Post a Comment