Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Learned guilt

 Image by Cole Stivers from Pixabay

You may have "learned" guilt as a child. I'm not talking about normal guilt, what you feel when you do something wrong, but rather a pang of guilt brought about by taking on the burdens of the world. 
     Case in point, my mom. Her latest guilt is for getting the covid vaccine. The first day that you could sign up began at 8:30. At 8:29 she sat poised at her phone with her list of medical facilities to call and within a few minutes had her first appointment. Ever since then, she's been anxiously waiting for everyone she knows to get their shot. She makes sure when the next group is eligible that everyone who she knows who's in that group knows to sign up. I love her for that, but I also worry that she stresses about it.
     I've learned this type of guilt. Maybe it's helped to humble me but maybe it's burdened me with anxiety and depression. I try to give all of my concerns to God and so I also have to trust Him with caring for everyone else. Why am I blessed with this or that and my friend isn't? I don't know, and I don't need to know. It's all up to Him and it's not for me to question.
     I guess maybe there could be a fine line between guilt in that respect and empathy? My counselor has told me time and time again that I'm so empathetic that it is a major contributor to my anxiety and depression; which is another reason I practice giving it all up to God. He is sovereign over all things. If guilt over things that I cannot control or even have a hand in are a burden, then that guilt is from the Accuser and is not of God.
     Let love consume you, not guilt.
 
Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7 ESV


*********
Please join me this week in praying for those who are carrying around guilt and shame, especially for those who are troubled with the past and can't let go, even though our Father has forgiven them. Pray that they recognize that Jesus died for all of their sins, that those sins are now wiped away and they are now a new being in His eyes.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible #guilt #shame #accusation #Satan #depression #anxiety #empathy

No comments:

Post a Comment