Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Going away to college

Image by Nikolay Georgiev from Pixabay
I moved to Cincinnati at the end of August 1981. Like many 18-year-olds, it was my first time on my own. I was there to pursue a degree in Interior Design and to take advantage of everything a big city had to offer: theater, art galleries, fine restaurants,... I had every intention of looking for a church either on campus or nearby, but not that first week. The first week was busy meeting people, learning my way around, and setting up my dorm room. It was so exciting being on my own, being an adult, being able to make my own decisions and go and do whatever I wanted whenever I wanted.

Within the first few days of school starting, reality was setting in. I had to find a job through the work-study program, buy all of my art supplies, and figure out how to carry them back and forth from one end of campus to the other. (My dorm and college couldn't have been further apart.) Most of my professors seemed like crotchety old men who were so burned out dealing with 18-year-olds that they were just going through the motions awaiting retirement, or maybe even death. They loved comparing college to Disneyland and real life (after college) was hell.

It turned out that my campus job only paid me once a month and I was only able to work up to 20 hours a week. At $3.15 an hour, the paycheck was often gone within a week of cashing it. So, the theater, art galleries, and fine restaurants weren't happening.

I had to buy and register a can of mace and take a self-defense class or two because the campus wasn't located in the safest part of town and my mid-western, smallish town upbringing couldn't possibly prepare me for that kind of culture shock. By the end of week 2, I was seeking out the other ten or so people from my high school who were attending there and setting up rides with them to go home as often as possible.

My weekends at home were mostly spent catching up on sleep and laundry, so there wasn't any time or energy for church and it was pointless to find a church in Cincinnati because I wouldn't have the time or energy to go there either; I'd be scared walking around off campus and I didn't want to go alone.

I believe some of these factors are the same for our teenagers today. Going from high school to college (or starting a fulltime job, or joining the military) is a drastic change in their daily lives and without incorporating church attendance and ministry from the beginning they may come to believe that it no longer fits into their schedules or their lives.

We as the church need to keep them engaged and active while allowing them the flexibility to make it part of their new young adult life in a way that works for them and still glorifies God.

Let's pray for the 2019 graduates that they stay with the church during this transitional time of their lives and that God guides us how best to lead and encourage them toward a godly adult life.

For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them.”
Matthew 18:20 ESV

*****
Please join me this week in praying for our 2019 graduates. Pray for the success of their spiritual future just as you would for their educational or vocational success.
I'll share some of my experience during that period of my life and will post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power



No comments:

Post a Comment