Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Remembering 1974 Xenia tornado

Shoup Mill Rd. May 28, 2019
     When I was ten, I took a drawing class. Each week we went to a large house in town that was tucked back in a wooded area where we drew the house and landscaping. We were sitting outside there on a partly cloudy evening, somewhat out of touch with the world, when the sky got suddenly dark. My dad showed up; I didn’t know he even knew where we were drawing. He told everyone there was a tornado headed our way. I wasn’t too frightened because there had been tornado threats before that never materialized, but when we got home Mom was getting stuff together to take to the basement: a radio, some food, pillows and blankets. My parents had never gone that far for a tornado warning before, so then I was scared. The TV was still on in the living room. The emergency broadcast made an ear-piercing sound that stopped us in our tracks. It announced that a tornado had just devastated Xenia, Ohio. It was April 4, 1974.
     We drove through Xenia two weeks later on our way to visit my grandparents and it was the most haunting sight I had ever seen. Everything was flattened. I didn’t see any people. There was one large tree still standing, and someone had tied a yellow ribbon around it. I had a sinking, sickening feeling in my stomach; I felt shocked, and empathy. The imagery often kept me awake at night.
     I haven't been through every area hit here on Memorial Day, but where I've been, there are people outside working, cleaning up. On that day in 1974, I didn't see any people. The devastation was so great that there was nothing to be done. I've heard that parts of Trotwood are like that. I've heard that many of them didn't have homeowner's insurance. Let's pray that they are able to pick up the pieces of their lives and start anew.
God is our refuge and strength,
 an ever-present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
    and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
Psalm 46:1-2

*****
Please join me this week in praying for those who have been affected by natural disasters, particularly the latest victims from the Memorial Day tornadoes. This includes areas of Missouri, Iowa and Illinois also.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment