Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Acquiring a servant's heart

I used to resist the idea of "serving" or "submitting" to others. I thought everyone should be strong and be able to take care of themselves and I expected the same of myself, but then I met this incredible woman, we'll call her Kitty. I said something about not liking where the bible tells us to submit to our husbands (Ephesians 5:22-23) or to anyone for that matter. She looked at me with disbelief. She said, "I consider it an honor and a privilege to serve Jesus." That cut me to the quick.
     In Ephesians, we're told to submit to (or honor or respect) our husbands and they are to love us because neither of these traits are fundamentally inherent in us. When we do this then, we are honoring Christ and the men are loving Christ.
     Jesus tells us flat out that when we care for someone, we're caring for Him (Matthew 25:31-40) and we will ultimately be judged for that.
     Kitty serves Jesus with everything she does. She is kind and loving and giving. With her one comment, she completely changed my attitude and my heart. It made me realize that my attitude was not only selfish, but a missed opportunity to serve the Lord and to spread His lovingkindness. Thank you, Kitty.

Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free.
Ephesians 6:5-8 ESV

*********
This week we are praying for a servant's heart. I'll personally be asking God to quash my pride and fill me with the desire and opportunity to serve others. (Like I wrote previously if you pray for this be prepared for God to give you someone fairly quickly).
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment