Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Find your gift

Did you know that God gave you a gift chosen just for you? He gives each of His children a spiritual gift*, that allows us to spread the Good News and minister to others. I was so excited to learn this because I thought we were all supposed to be able (and comfortable with) going up to strangers and asking "Do you know Jesus?" (some people are able to do that - I am not). I felt like I was letting Jesus down; after all, look at what His disciples went through to spread the word.
     The parable of the talents finally made sense to me! (Matthew 25:14-30 and similarly Luke 19:11-27) Discover your gift and use it. If you ignore it (or bury it in the dirt) it's wasted. I'm sure there are tests online you can take to discover your gift, or you can pray for God to disclose it to you.**
     Last evening I gave my testimony on video in preparation for being baptized by immersion (I was previously baptized as a newborn and at the age of 16 by being sprinkled in the Methodist Church). I couldn't sleep all night worrying about how I came across (because I worry about sounding prideful), but I get really excited about what God has done in my life lately, and there's so much more I wanted to say but forgot. I must've talked for over 30 minutes as it was and Pastor Brian will somehow chop that down to 3-5 minutes, so what I forgot to say doesn't matter, but my point is it is so exciting to discover the ways that God has equipped me to serve others and I want to share that with everyone who'll listen! I just encourage you to find your gift and run with it. It will change your life!

As each one has received a gift, minister it to one another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God. If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies, that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.
1 Peter 4:10-11

* For a list of spiritual gifts, check 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, Ephesians 4, 1 Peter 4.
**I recommend reading: Evangelism for the Rest of Us: Sharing Christ Within Your Personality Style by Mike Bechtle


*********
This week we are praying for a servant's heart. I'll personally be asking God to quash my pride and fill me with the desire and opportunity to serve others. (Like I wrote previously if you pray for this be prepared for God to give you someone fairly quickly).
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment