Monday, November 4, 2019

A loving gift


Have you ever been truly poor? I have. We did well to just get by. Looking back there are a few places we could have cut back and other places where we made bad decisions. We robbed Peter to pay Paul and used credit cards to get us through particularly bad months (which just made things worse). We spent $20 a week on groceries.
     I wasn't accustomed or prepared to be so poor and honestly didn't know how we would ever survive, but we did, of course, often due to the kindness and generosity of others. Since I've been there, I can empathize with those I meet who are in need. This time of year is especially difficult. You want to be as "normal" as possible for your children and have a big meal for Thanksgiving and gifts under a tree for Christmas.
     One Christmas I had been saving change in order to be able to buy a Christmas tree. A live tree at that time was $20 (the equivalent of a whole week of groceries) so we were making sacrifices here and there in order to buy one.
     One day my brother and his wife drove up with a Christmas tree on the roof of their car. It took a moment to sink in what they were doing as they loosened the rope. My heart felt like it could have burst at that moment. I have never felt so loved. That was such a thoughtful gift, purchased with love, and given freely.
     Jesus has given all of us the ultimate gift. The price was paid with His blood and it is given freely to anyone who accepts Him. Those of us who've accepted this gift should be sharing the Good News of it to those in need. One way to reach out to people is to give freely of ourselves and help wherever we can. Be generous. Think outside the box and do something that shows Christ lives in you.

For there will never cease to be poor in the land. 
Therefore I command you, ‘
You shall open wide your hand to your brother, 
to the needy and to the poor, in your land.’
Deuteronomy 15:11 ESV

*********
Please join me this week in praying for the poor. Ask God what you can do to help and to make a difference in the life of someone in need.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment