Friday, November 29, 2019

Thanksgiving aftermath

I don't know about you, but I'm exhausted. I started yesterday by making a turkey and a few side dishes (my husband helped, thankfully) and did all of the last-minute clean-up/straighten up chores that come with hosting a meal like this. My husband's family came over and I was able to enjoy their company for a few hours before heading over to my mom's for Thanksgiving meal #2. That's when the real work began.
     My mom has lost a lot of strength in her arms and hands since taking the chemo pill, but she still tries to do everything. I get there, and she's having trouble holding the electric knife to cut the turkey so I jumped in to help. She watched me closely, instructing me where to cut, what to do, etc. eventually hovering right behind me until she said, "Just let me do it." It was a lot of stuff like that which I won't bore you with, but let's just say, by the end of the night I was exhausted and quietly cursing my choice of shoes.
     Now that we've all sufficiently given thanks, it's time to begin 3-1/2 weeks of intensive preparations for Christmas. There's shopping and decorating and baking and visiting and holiday parties. There's Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, Cyber Monday, and Giving Tuesday. It's expensive and hectic and crazy and unfortunately, I believe, it distracts us from the reason for the season. So, before we begin this Thanksgiving aftermath, this Pre-Christmas frenzy, let's meditate on our blessings some more.

Blessed is the one
 who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
 or sit in the company of mockers,
 but whose delight is in the law* of the Lord,
 and who meditates on his law* day and night.
 That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
 which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
 whatever they do prospers.
Psalm 1:1-3 NIV

*The law is simply:
...“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’
...‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
Matthew 22:37 & 39

*********
Please join me this week in praying for all of the awesome blessings that God bestows on us. Pray for any blessings that someone close to you needs. And finally, let's pray that the Father uses us to be the blessing in someone else's life.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment