Tuesday, April 2, 2019

How to have job satisfaction

IMAGE: VICKY LETA / MASHABLE
found at https://tinyurl.com/y4hb7qqm
     I believe at the root of all discontent is attitude. Let's say you had an absolutely nasty job that you hated with every fiber of your being. We'll use as a random example: "septic tank technician." I know very little about this job except what I learned from watching an episode of Dirty Jobs, and I realize that the people who do it must not mind it, and maybe even get used to the smell after a while, but to me, it seems like a nasty job. (Kudos to those who do this job, though.) They make on average $16.20/hour (not nearly enough, in my opinion).
     You wake up one morning and think, "I just can't do this another day." So, how can you motivate yourself to go to work and not hate every single minute?
1. Pray. Ask God for strength. Ask Him to show you His will for you.
2. Make a plan and complete one step each day. You may spend a month or more researching other jobs, or figuring out what this job can prepare you for. Talk to your boss and see if there is a job advancement track for your job. Setting and attaining goals gives hope. You may find that you'll need to go back to school to learn new skills. Most schools have a career center which offers resources and job placement.
3. Ask yourself the hard questions:
What are my interests? What am I most passionate about?
Why did I take this job in the first place?
Why do I hate it now? Is the root of my discontent really the actual job or is it that I dislike a co-worker? What can I do to smooth things over with that person? Do I really dislike him or am I jealous of him for some reason? If you're the only person who doesn't get along with him, maybe the problem is you and not him.
Is it pride? Am I embarrassed about what I do?
Do I feel unappreciated? Am I in a rut?
Use those answers to assess your next move.
Finish the sentences begun in the above photo:
I am ...
I want ...
I love ...
I have ...

In the short-term, things you can do this morning:
- pray, ask for help.
- look your best, whatever that means to you. I can tell when I'm depressed about my job because I'll just throw on whatever's on the top of the laundry pile; I'll skip the make-up and jewelry, and I'll wear a sweatshirt sweater instead of a nice sweater.
- remember always that you are representing Christ. What you do during your day job is serving Christ (I'll add scripture for this tomorrow). Be an image-bearer and servant of Jesus.
- smile and greet strangers. Ask them how their day is. If you know their name, use it. Say "Have a blessed day, Betty," or at least, "Have a good day."
- take pride in what you do; whatever it is that you do.
- go the extra mile without expecting anything in return.
- throughout the day: pray.

Try those things for today and tomorrow we'll talk some more.

For what has man for all his labor, and for the striving of his heart 
with which he has toiled under the sun? 
For all his days are sorrowful, and his work burdensome; 
even in the night his heart takes no rest. 
This also is vanity.
Nothing is better for a man than that he should eat and drink, 
and that his soul should enjoy good in his labor. 
This also, I saw, was from the hand of God.
Ecclesiastes 2:22-24
*****
Let's pray for someone we know who is unhappy with their job. I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment