Sunday, April 14, 2019

Where's your treasure?

Image by 3D Animation Production Company from Pixabay
“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, 
where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; 
but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, 
where neither moth nor rust destroys and 
where thieves do not break in and steal. 
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 6:19–21

I read a self-published book once where the whole premise was based on "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." It was written as if the author believed that you'll find treasure in the (earthly) things you love, whatever that meant for each person. In reality, it's meant to remind us that whatever we love most is where our true heart is. So, a person who loves money can't also love the Lord. We shouldn't concern ourselves with earthly treasures but spend our time here laying up treasures in Heaven. I always regret the fact that I didn't try to reach out to her and explain the verse.

As a side note to this week's prayers...I had our taxes done Thursday evening and for the first time, we owed money instead of getting a refund. I was livid. I got so emotionally wrapped up in having to pay even more taxes, and now I'm going to have to take money out of savings, and now I'm going to have to wait longer to get a new car, and now, and now, and now...finally, I calmed down and actually had to laugh at how upset I had gotten. It's amazing how tied up in knots we can get over money. Even though I don't consider myself to be someone who loves money, I still get way too upset when I'm forced to give it up. The treasures in Heaven are the only treasures that matter.

*****
Let's pray for someone we know who is having financial problems. I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
instagram @archadia27
facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment