Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Waking up

 Image by kangbch from Pixabay

How do you wake up each morning? Do you wake up to an alarm clock, cursing the day for dragging you out of bed? Do you postpone the inevitable by hitting the snooze countless times? Do you just generally hate mornings?
     Or, do you wake up praising God for giving you another day? Do you say a prayer of thanksgiving for the possibilities that lie ahead?
     I used to be the first set of examples above. I would wake up angry; sometimes even singing the old WWII song, "Oh how I hate to get up in the morning. Oh, how I'd love to remain in bed..." Then, I realized there are people who are bedridden who would love nothing more than to be able to get up in the morning. My problem wasn't the morning, it was that I needed more sleep, and a major tweak in my attitude.
     It makes me think of the movie "Groundhog Day." Bill Murray's character woke up angry every morning; he went through the day feeling defeated, bitter, and hopeless. He lived his life full of dread. After the turning point of the movie, his attitude changed; he found purpose and hope. He learned to make the most of his situation and woke up each day with anticipation. 
     Now I wake up saying, "Thank You, Lord!" I ask God to guide me as to His will for my day. It has helped tremendously. I no longer feel (as) overwhelmed (it's a work-in-progress), and therefore I don't have those feelings of being defeated.
     I don't want to come across like I have anything figured out, but I do want to share when I have that "aha" moment that not only makes my life a little easier but also draws me closer to God.
     My challenge for you is this, wake up every morning and say, "Hallelujah!" Say it like you mean it! Say a prayer of praise and thanksgiving and ask God for direction for your day. If you'd like to share what happens, let me know. I'm excited for you and for your week ahead.
     Our Father and Jesus and the Holy Spirit deserve nothing short of our continual praise and love.
“For God so loved the world, 
that he gave his only Son, 
that whoever believes in him should not perish 
but have eternal life.
John 3:16 ESV


You may also like: "Pray for a widow or widower" from January 14, 2019










*********
Please join me this week in praying for the Church. Pray that we focus our attention on our purpose and goal in this life. Pray that we keep our eye on the prize. Everyone, every single person will live forever, will have eternal life, but it's where they will spend eternity that needs to motivate our action each and every day.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe

#ThisIsMyHallelujah #7thHourPrayerPower #mornings #attitude #wakeup #praise #challenge #hope

No comments:

Post a Comment