Saturday, May 1, 2021

Confessions of an office manager, Part 2

(or)  Be Careful What You Wish For
Image by Barbara Jackson from Pixabay

Continued from yesterday (click here for Part 1)
     So, I had hired three people. I was overwhelmed and couldn't keep up with training, project scheduling, quality control. It was clear that I was struggling.
     The boss's son stepped up. It seemed innocent enough, almost like he wanted to help by giving the new people work to do, taking them out to field measure, etc. Then, we got approved to move forward with the biggest, best project we've ever gotten and I'm the one who brought the project to the table. My boss was going to create the preliminary design on Saturday, and I was going to start on the project on Monday. (I had stopped working Saturdays during the Great Recession for obvious reasons.) When I got to work Monday morning, somehow the boss's son had the project. He had gone into the office on Saturday, and I imagine he said he wanted it and so he got it.
     That's when I realized that I was no longer in charge. Everything had changed. I fought tooth and nail every step of the way to the point where I felt like our three newbies were children of a messy divorce. We fought over them, over what they could do, who's project they would work on. I was miserable, stressed out, depressed. I was paying a therapist to help me deal with all of this until it dawned on me that I was fighting a losing battle. It was time to let go.
     I went on a job interview thinking it would be for an Autocad drafter. I was willing to take a cut in pay to have the privilege (and peace) of being able to just draw. I was done with being in charge. When the potential employer started talking about what all of my responsibilities would be, it made me feel on edge, reiterating that, at this point in my life, I just want to draw.
     As I drove back to work, I realized that I had that opportunity at my present job, if I would just quit fighting you-know-who. And, it wouldn't require a cut in pay. The other company wasn't ready for me to start there and after a lot of praying and reflection, I began to let it all go. It wasn't long before I realized that I was happier, less stressed.
     In January 2020, I went to a Missions College conference and my whole life was changed. Someday, I'll get the book published that is the result of that conference, of what God let me know is my mission. It's my belief that He will bless my writing, allow me to get published in a capacity that will allow me to write full-time for Him. 
     This week, He reminded me of all of that. I have a greater purpose in this life than to draw pizza joints. I believe my purpose is to help draw people closer to God, through writing and prayer, and maybe even, eventually, speaking engagements. With that reminder, I was able to completely let go of my need to be in charge at my day job. If the book(s) take off and if God makes it so that I can write full-time to bring Him honor and glory, then I believe that's the better definition of "success" than my 1990s definition.
     I've prayed for so long for a way to break free from that overwhelming life and at every obvious opportunity it never happened. I think since it's been so many years, I just forgot I prayed for it. God didn't forget, though. His perfect timing is always so amazing to me.
     So many tiny events had to take place to get me to this point. Everything had to happen in a certain order, at a certain time. I feel blessed that I can see it all unwinding and am praying that what I believe the intended outcome will actually happen.
     God has opened so many doors this week that I've just been blown away time and time again at His involvement in my life. I am grateful. I am blessed. So, I guess it's no so much "be careful what you wish for" as, "remember what you prayed for."
     Whatever your work problem is, ask God for guidance and wisdom. He will provide.

"Commit your work to the Lord, and then your plans will succeed."
Proverbs 16:3

Be in prayer for:
G
K
S
W
B
L
J
K
T
S
C
They are all experiencing high levels of stress at work because of various situations. If there's anyone you would like to add to the list, please let me know.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for those who are dealing with stressful situations at their workplace. Please pray that they may find resolutions to their specific situations, that they find peace through prayer, and that their workplace no longer be a source of overwhelming stress and/or depression. Please pray that they find strength in the Lord.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible #work #job #stress #manager #anxiety #depression #prayer #boss #supervisor #negativeselftalk #blog #blogpost #blogger


No comments:

Post a Comment