Tuesday, November 10, 2020

God focused

 Image by PublicDomainPictures from Pixabay
Yesterday, my focus improved. It drifted back to earthly things several times, but it was an improvement over the past several weeks. Sometimes, I need physical "things" to help me focus on God, especially after I've spent so much time tied up in earthly concerns. So yesterday I started out by listening to a Christian music radio station on the way to work (K-Love). That helped lift my spirits. It also put a song in my head that reminded me of Him throughout the day: At the Cross by Chris Tomlin.
     Later in the day, I took my own advice and when I was tempted to scroll through the news apps, I put on my headphones and listened to a reading of the Psalms on the YouVersion app. I said little prayers throughout the day, but need to get back to where I was before becoming consumed with the world. Then, lastly, after dinner, I spent time in the word, reading scripture and commentary.
     I don't say any of this to boast but just to share that returning my focus on things above made a huge difference in my spiritual and mental state, even just approaching it with baby steps.


But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, 
and all these things will be added to you.
Matthew 6:33 ESV

David Guzik wrote, regarding this verse:
iii. Jesus didn’t just tell them to stop worrying; He told them to replace worry with a concern for the kingdom of God. A habit or a passion can only be given up for a greater habit or passion.
iv. “What this verse demands is, therefore, a commitment to find and to do the will of God, to ally oneself totally with his purpose. And this commitment must come first.” (France)*
In talking about Matthew 6:22-23, Guzik refers to verse 33, and I've found this to be true:
Being single minded brings light to our lives, and we are also happier and more content when we focus on the kingdom of God and His righteousness, knowing that all the material things will be added to us (Matthew 6:33). But when we are double-minded, it is as if your whole body is full of darkness. We try to live for two masters at the same time, and it puts a dark shadow over everything in our life.*

* Guzik, David (2018). Enduring Word. Bible commentary app.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for the church. Let's pray for revival that our focus will be on things above. Pray for God's mercy and grace. Ask for guidance, patience, unity, faith, and a softened heart (if necessary). 

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible #God #spiritual #Jesus #Heaven #focus #love

No comments:

Post a Comment