Friday, June 11, 2021

Am I my brother's keeper?

 Image by hangela from Pixabay

I was thinking about this yesterday, how we ask the question, "Am I my brother's keeper?" compared to how Cain asked it. I think nowadays, we ask the question in search of an answer. To what extent are we to take care of our brothers and sisters? But when Cain asked the question, he was backtalking to God. Can you imagine?! He just killed his brother and then was flip with God when asked about Abel. The question was pure callousness (IMO).
John MacArthur wrote: "Cain's sarcasm was a play on words, based on the fact that Abel was the "keeper" of sheep."*
*MacArthur, John (1997). The MacArthur Study Bible, New King James version.
     Thomas Nelson, Inc. Nashville, TN. 
Charles Spurgeon wrote: “The cool impudence of Cain is an indication of the state of heart which led up to his murdering his brother; and it was also a part of the result of his having committed that terrible crime. He would not have proceeded to the cruel deed of bloodshed if he had not first cast off the fear of God and been ready to defy his Maker.”
Yet, when God imparts His judgment, suddenly Cain is upset. In verse 13 he said, “My punishment is greater than I can bear." and another translation reads "My guilt is too great to bear," but seriously, there's nothing to indicate to me that Cain felt guilty for what he did. He had to have known that God sees all, knows all. Cain also had to have known that it was wrong. 
Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “I do not know; am I my brother's keeper?” And the Lord said, “What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood is crying to me from the ground. And now you are cursed from the ground, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand. When you work the ground, it shall no longer yield to you its strength. You shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth.” Cain said to the Lord, “My punishment is greater than I can bear. Behold, you have driven me today away from the ground, and from your face I shall be hidden. I shall be a fugitive and a wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.” 
Genesis 4:9-14 ESV

     Today we need to be our brother's (and sister's) keeper. "See something. Say something." Be an advocate for those who can't or won't speak for themselves. When we take on that nurturing role, our hearts can't help but be filled with love for one another.
     I remember when I was a teenager, at least 16-years-old, my parents went on vacation and left my brother, Kevin, and me home alone for the first time ever. Kevin developed some weird something on the roof of his mouth. I about freaked out. I didn't know what to do. My concern was for my little brother and making him well; I didn't want to contact my parents because I wanted to show them that we could take care of each other on our own. There also may have been a tiny bit of worry that I fed him something wrong that caused this condition.
     After calming down, I thought, "What would mom do?" and I called the doctor. They got us in right away (probably because of my panicky voice). It turned out it was the result of too much sugar and it would go away in a few days. My point is, as much as my little brother and I argued, when it came down to him needing me, I was all in. This isn't to boast, this is to point out that no matter what you have going on with your siblings (or anyone), you are responsible to try to help them, and you should want to, as a Christian, and a member of the human race. Some people cannot, will not be helped, but if that's the case, give it up to God.
     To be fully transparent, I write this even as I know my heart is turned against certain people who give me so much grief. It's something I'm constantly working on. I used to think I couldn't talk about something unless I overcame that something, but I don't think like that anymore. We should share our struggles as well as our triumphs. In this way, we let others who are struggling know that they're not alone. Social media makes people think that everyone else has it all figured out, that everyone else is happy. My goal is to show the opposite, in a way. I want people to know that I'm just like them with the same issues and worries. I slip and fall, then get back up over and over again. I don't have it all figured out and I never will, but that's okay.

You may also like:
"The Good Samaritan" from April 16, 2021
"To die unto one's self" from January 6, 2020

*********
Please join me this week in praying for siblings. Pray that any siblings who are alienated from one another find a means to heal and repair their relationships.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #bibleverse #bible #siblings #brother #sister #relationship #forgiveness #trust #healing #reconcile

No comments:

Post a Comment