Monday, June 21, 2021

Ask for help

 Image by Sasin Tipchai from Pixabay

Do you know someone who never asks for help? And maybe that someone raised you to never ask for help, either? They taught you to be "independant," "strong." I want to assure you (and by you, I mean the person who doesn't ask for help), it is NOT a sign of weakness to ask for help. In fact, the people around you would probably appreciate knowing what you need, when you need it, instead of trying to guess.
     Yesterday was Father's Day, and my nephews spent the day with their dad putting together an above-ground pool. My brother said it was the best father's day he could remember. Having his sons there, working together on a project that was important to him, ran a lot deeper than his need for help installing the pool. He also had a need to spend time with them.
     Sometimes I feel drawn to reach out to someone, but beyond that prompting by the Holy Spirit, I'm often in the dark as to what the people around me need.
     Of course, there are people who just flat out refuse help, and I have to honor those requests, but in their desire to not appear needy, they're inadvertently adding stress to my life because there's nothing I can do about any of it.
Since I was raised to be "independent," it's hard for me to ask for help as well. As a manager, I can delegate responsibility to different people, but I feel awkward about even asking in my day-to-day life. 
The same is true in my spiritual life. Until a few years ago, I felt funny asking the Lord for things for me. I didn't consider asking for guidance, answers, encouragement. God wants us to come to Him with our needs and even our wants. We pray for others, but we're also constantly building a relationship with Him by being in conversation (which includes listening to Him). So the topic of ourselves is going to come up.
I just see so much stress, anxiety, and loneliness in the world. How awesome would it be to just be able to share what's going on with each of us to deal with each other honestly; that would get rid of the need to wonder or worry. We wouldn't have to feel guilty for not doing something we didn't even know that we should be doing. (I know that sentence will make sense to a few of you).
This may just be a crazy ramble, but I'll try to break it down throughout the week. I guess it's my plea to those in my life who don't ask for help when they need it.
The Bible speaks about asking for God's help instead of each other, but I believe the Bible verses can be applied to both scenarios.

You desire and do not have, so you murder.* You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask.
James 4:2 ESV

*Remember "murder" is also defined as "anger" (see Matthew 5:21-22)

You may also like:
- "I’ve had a bad day" from January 7, 2013
- "If you need Someone to lean on" from July 27, 2014
- "Disappointment" from June 18, 2015


*********
Please join me this week in praying for those who need help but don't ask for it. Pray that they see the benefits of allowing others to help them. Pray that they have good experiences as a result of opening up to others. Pray that they are served by Christians who show Christ to them.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #bibleverse #bible #help #ask #need #independant #strong #prayer #relationship #anxiety

No comments:

Post a Comment