Wednesday, July 29, 2020

He is righteous


Image by Pexels from Pixabay
God is sovereign. He is righteous. We exist only because He chose to create us. None of us deserve His love, grace, or mercy yet He gives it all to us, without hesitation. 
     I used to see Old Testament God and New Testament God as two completely different beings (in character). The God of the Old Testament was full of wrath and the God of the New Testament was full of love and mercy. It wasn't until I began reading the whole bible (and the bible as a whole) and commentaries that I began to see how He was/is truly One in the Same. 
     My simplified thoughts and epiphanies are these...
     In the Old Testament garden, we as humans had the opportunity to fellowship with Him directly, literally live in His presence, and we blew it. Later, He traveled and lived among the Israelites for 40 years as they grumbled and complained. Yet, He took care of their every need.
     I used to get frustrated reading about their ingratitude and what it must be like to be in His actual presence and have the nerve, the audacity to complain, and question Him. Then I realize that I am just like them. God is definitely present in my life and yet I complain sometimes; I'm ungrateful sometimes. Just because I can't see Him in a pillar of cloud or fire doesn't mean that He isn't here among us.
     I think of Cain, killing Abel. Surely Cain knew God could see him. How often do I sin even though I know God can see me? It makes me think how heartbreaking it must be for Him.
     Once I began seeing the God of the Old Testament as One who had to deal with an ungrateful, sinful people; people whom He specifically chose to be His own, I began to understand better that everything He did was (and is) for a purpose. Everything is according to His plan. His people were to become the lineage by which He sent His one and only Son to become fully man. 
     I feel like the 400 years of silence was the ultimate punishment for His people. It gave generations a chance to know what it felt like to be without His presence; it also left them wanting and waiting for the Messiah, just as we are wanting and waiting for the return of Christ.
     Once Jesus came, that set in place what the New Covenant would look like. Basically, we don't see God's wrath on our sinful selves because we're shielded by the blood of Jesus. The price has been paid. 
The Old Testament allows us to see and understand the character of God. It also allows us to see our own sin. Jesus allows us to once again have fellowship with the Father.
     So, if and when you meet someone who questions God's wrath, explain that what they should be questioning is God's love: how is it that He can love such a sinful people?

The Lord tests the righteous,
But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.
Upon the wicked He will rain coals;
Fire and brimstone and a burning wind
Shall be the portion of their cup.
For the Lord is righteous,
He loves righteousness;
His countenance beholds the upright.
Psalm 11:5-7 NKJV 

Please note, these are just my thoughts. I have no formal biblical education or training; it's just how I look at things. A lot of theologians have written a great deal on this subject and I encourage you to do some research on your own. 

*********
Please join me this week in praying for ourselves and others that we may avoid the characteristics and actions that God hates. Pray for direction and strength to be more Christlike. Pray that we come closer to the Father by getting to know Him better, through Scripture and prayer. And finally, pray that by doing these things, non-believers will see Christ through us and our actions and want the peace and joy and hope that we have because of Him who first loved us.
 
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #scripture #bible #love #prayer #wrath

No comments:

Post a Comment