Monday, July 20, 2020

Pray through Scripture


Image by wahujabuja2112 from Pixabay
I've heard people say that they pray through scripture, but I had no idea how to go about it until one of the women who leads our Sunday morning bible study shared the process with us. I can probably do it more justice with an example rather than explaining it... prayer:
Lord, I praise You!
I praise You in Your sanctuary;
    I praise You in Your mighty heavens!
I praise You for Your mighty deeds;
    I praise You according to Your excellent greatness!
This was based on Psalm 150:1-2 ESV which reads:
Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens!
Praise him for his mighty deeds;
praise him according to his excellent greatness!

You can use a verse or part of a verse as your prayer; as your entire prayer or simply a part of your prayer. There are no rules, of course. Prayer should come from the heart, but it's a wonderful practice to seek out scripture for what is on your heart and relay that back to the Father. I feel even more of a bond with Him when I look up Bible Verses that speak to what I'm feeling.
     So much of the Psalms are perfect for this. For me personally, I like having the words to properly praise our Father because so often I can't think of words sufficient to do justice to how I feel toward Him. He has done so much for me and is always there for me. I'm forever amazed that not only did He know my name in the very beginning, but He cares enough, and loves me enough to listen to me. 
     I know what He wants from me but there are many times when I'm just not feeling up to it and times when I'm just not feeling "it". But, He gives me grace and encouragement. He understands and doesn't judge me when I fail. He communicates with me through Scripture, other people, songs, thoughts, and feelings. He knows I'll repent and get back on track, and He is patient until I do. 

For all He does, I would love to literally:
Praise him with trumpet sound;
praise him with lute and harp!
Praise him with tambourine and dance;
praise him with strings and pipe!
Praise him with sounding cymbals;
praise him with loud clashing cymbals!*
but since I don't have all of those instruments, I praise Him with words, pen, singing, and dancing.

I love my LORD!


*Psalm 150:3-5 ESV

*********
Please join me this week while we pray through scripture, meditate on scripture, filling our hearts and minds with love and gratitude. Pray that we find hope and peace in Jesus; that we focus on and do the will of our Father and that we live our lives emulating the characteristics of Christ so that others may seek Him.
 
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible #cymbals #gratitude #praise #prayer #scripture



No comments:

Post a Comment