Saturday, July 10, 2021

God goes before us

 Image by Darkmoon_Art from Pixabay  Bright orange and yellow sky and clouds and sea. I imagine this is how God appeared to the Israelites when He traveled before them as a pillar of cloud by day. Exodus 13:21

I've probably shared this before--stop me if you've heard it--but I read Exodus several times and angrily wondered how they could behave so badly when God is right there traveling with them, living among them. Surely they realized that He knew everything they did and heard everything they said. How could they have the audacity to complain when God provided everything they needed, when He saved them from slavery?
     I don't know how many times I read Exodus, and wondered all of those things before I realized,...nothing has changed. I'm no better than the Israelites. God is right here traveling with me, living within me. He knows everything I do, say, think, and feel. He provides me with everything I need and even saved me from a life of slavery to sin. Yet, I have the audacity to complain.
     Driving home from Michigan seemed to take forever. I just wanted to get home, but it was like the harder I pressed, the more obstacles appeared. There was construction, accidents, heavy downpours that made it impossible to see past the nose of my car. None of us felt well. We were exhausted and grumpy. Yet, as soon as we got home, it was as if all was well. 
     Can you imagine how the Israelites felt, traveling for 40 years and just wanting to get home? I empathize with them, especially knowing that the adults never made it to the Promised Land. However, it was because of their lack of faith in God, Who was visible before them the whole journey, Who parted the Red Sea, Who fed them and sustained them. I imagine they hurt God over and over again. 
When I think of how God sustains me and takes care of me, I am in awe of Him. I know I am blessed. He has revealed Himself to me, yet time after time, I don't reciprocate with the unwavering faith that He deserves. I will continue to work on this.

And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night.
Exodus 13:21 ESV

*********
Join me this week in praying for those who are traveling this summer. Pray that people are careful and safe. Pray for patience, kindness, and tolerance. We've all been cooped up for a long time, and sometimes it's easy to let our emotions get the best of us. Please pray for peace and love.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #bibleverse #bible #walk #vacation #travel #plans #journey #wisdom #guidance #prayer #faith #grace

No comments:

Post a Comment