Wednesday, July 7, 2021

I'm walking here

 

We've now traveled by car, boat, and horse carriage (and by foot). I think my favorite mode of transportation is the carriage. It's so great to be able to take a leisurely stroll downtown to the cloppity-clop sound of horse hoofs and I wonder why in the world would we give this up for cars? But, then I see porters riding bicycles with luggage piled high on a basket; I smell the aroma of horse poop. I keep checking my watch to see if we're going to make it to our destination in time because the horses in front of us aren't in a hurry and we don't have a horn to honk. In other words, reality sinks in and I realize that that lifestyle doesn't fit in with the everyday hustle and bustle of normal city life, unfortunately.
     Plus, there are dangers to consider. We were making a right turn and a man on a bike was passing us on the righthand side of the carriage. We heard the horrible squeal of the bike brakes as the man stopped just inches from the horses who in turn stopped at the noise. Our driver apologized to the man who maneuvered around the horses as he went on his way.
     After we passed him, our driver told us the man on the bike was the Chief of Police, and she jokingly said that he should've known better than to pass on the right. It made me think of the movie "Midnight Cowboy" where Dustin Hoffman and Jon Voight are crossing the street and a taxi about runs them over (not in the script) and Dustin Hoffman, without skipping a beat smacks the car hood and yells at the driver, "I'm walkin' here." It became one of the best-known quotes in cinematic history (IMO). This vacation is really exhausting so if I'm not making any sense, that's why.)

I believe that God will protect us as we travel.

For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.
Psalm 91:11 ESV 

*********
Join me this week in praying for those who are traveling this summer. Pray that people are careful and safe. Pray for patience, kindness, and tolerance. We've all been cooped up for a long time, and sometimes it's easy to let our emotions get the best of us. Please pray for peace and love.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe

#7thHourPrayerPower #bibleverse #bible #walk #cross #travel #calling #journey 



No comments:

Post a Comment