Monday, July 5, 2021

Take up the cross

 
I'm traveling with my family this week in the Mackinaw City area of Michigan. The hotel gave us this little map of the city that probably isn't to scale, but I looked at it and determined that the restaurant we were going to was within "walking distance." After striking out, it was clear that not all of the blocks were shown on the map, and the restaurant was actually further away than I thought, which led me to ponder, what is "walking distance"?
     Clearly, it's different for each person depending on age, health, and amount of activity one is used to. As a group of people who have stationary jobs and lifestyles, our tolerable walking distance was a few blocks less than the distance of this restaurant to our hotel.
     That got me to wondering, how far did Jesus walk during his ministry and/or life? I'll share that information tomorrow. It also led me to a man named Arthur Blessitt (photo above from the 1960s maybe). He's the Guinness Book of World Record's holder for longest pilgrimage. He has walked all over the world with a 12-foot cross, walking more than 43,240 miles across 324 nations over the course of the last 47 years. What a ministry! What a walking distance!

Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.
Luke 9:23 NKJV

*********
Join me this week in praying for those who are traveling this summer. Pray that people are careful and safe. Pray for patience, kindness, and tolerance. We've all been cooped up for a long time, and sometimes it's easy to let our emotions get the best of us. Please pray for peace and love.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe

#7thHourPrayerPower #bibleverse #bible #walk #cross #pilgrimage #calling #GuinnessBookOfRecords






No comments:

Post a Comment