Friday, July 16, 2021

This is a test

 Old black & white image that was shown on tvs in the 60s & 70s to announce a test of the emergency broadcast system.

Whenever our week of prayer here brings the focus inward, one of two things inevitably happens: either God uses that time to test my resolve, or Satan steps up the spiritual warfare. 
     I talked to a Pastor last weekend about that and asked him how do I know which is happening? He said to ask God. Why didn't I think of that?!
     So when this week ended up being one of those times, I took his advice. Yesterday I got down on my knees and asked God what was happening. First off, there's something about praying on your knees, or bowing, or laying in the prone position that seems to strengthen our prayer. I confess I hardly ever do any of those things (I talk to God in the car a lot), but I'm going to make it part of the daily prayer life now. I want to totally submit to Him, and to do that, my physical person needs to be in a position of submission as well as my heart and mind.
     As a result (I believe), God answered me right away. "This is a test." Well, I'm just the brown-noser, the push-up-my-glasses-nerd-type person at heart. If it's a test, then I want to get an A+. Anything less might as well be utter failure. My resolve strengthened, I faced my day with a renewed sense of trying hard to be Christlike in whatever situation God threw at me. 
     Honestly, if I'm being generous, I got a D- yesterday. Outwardly I behaved okay when faced with adversity, but inwardly I was angry and resentful and a little bit bitter. I talked about it with my husband and some friends. A Twitter friend said I was doing a good job (thank you, Elizabeth), but I didn't feel like I was. It made me feel depressed. Actually, I've felt depressed all week. So last evening, I did my best to do things for others, which helped me feel better. 
     Today is a new day, and I'm going to try-try-again. Has your week been any different since you've been praying for guidance, for God to show you your sin and/or where you're at fault?
     God loves us so much. The least we can do is try to do right by Him.
For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, 
so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
2 Corinthians 5:21 ESV


About the above photo:
Back in the day, this was a thing that randomly showed up on our TVs. There was a loud noise, this picture, and then the announcement, "This is a test." Or, "This has been a test of the emergency broadcast system. If there had been an actual emergency..." I can't believe I remember all of that from my childhood, but yet I can't seem to remember what day it is.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for guidance. Let's ask our Father to show us our sin, to show us where we're at fault and how we can make things better in our everyday interactions with others. Let's also pray for softened hearts, discernment, and wisdom in all situations. Pray that God helps us become more Christlike so that nonbelievers will see us and respond by seeking Him.

I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #bibleverse #bible #sin #humilty #test #Christlike #question #blame #betrayal #wisdom #guidance #prayer #decieved #deception #basicallygood #theFall



No comments:

Post a Comment