Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Plank in my eye

I'll just put it out there...the person who I have the most trouble liking right now is my boss' son. I've worked there for 26 years, starting when he was 4-years-old. Back then, I told him not to do something and he made the comment, "This is my daddy's office and I can do whatever I want." In other words, 'you can't tell me what to do.' And, it's been that way ever since. He started working there when he was 16 and it's been a constant battle of wills. Maybe it's pride (both of us), but whatever it is, it weighs on me.
     I've tried everything (IMO) but it's all just bandaids that eventually lose their stick. When I've prayed about it in the past, I've always prayed that he changes, that his heart is softened, never thinking to pray for me to change and my attitude.
     Two Sundays ago, we had communion at church and the Pastor said not to take it if we had something like this on our hearts. He cited Matthew 7:3-5 (NKJV)
And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Those verses never really spoke to me before but at that point, they did and I saw the hypocrite in myself. I prayed while communion was being passed out and a renewed sense of wanting to love everyone, not just those who are easy to love, came over me and I prayed on that and felt cleansed to take communion.
     My takeaway from this is, if you're having trouble loving someone, look first at yourself and see what the issue is. Then look at the other person and find something within them to love; we are all so much more than just one attribute or characteristic. Sometimes it takes some praying and searching, but I believe we can find something loving in every person we meet.
     May God bless you this week with this journey.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for guidance, strength, wisdom, and courage for each of us to love everyone as Jesus commands us.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment