Monday, September 23, 2019

Pray for the anxious

Pray for the anxious
Every time I think, "finally, life can get back to normal" something happens to throw a wrench at that statement. Maybe there is no "normal". Maybe normal is just an illusion we conjure up to get through the crazy times in our lives. I try to think of a normal period and am hardpressed to remember one. I can picture what normal should look like, but have I ever really experienced it?
     I, like so many others, suffer from anxiety. I was diagnosed with it in 2008, but it most likely began in 1981 when I started college. Back then, I didn't understand panic attacks and they were mild compared to the ones I had later in life.
     Someone said that anxiety is the number one mental health illness in America. Some of that, I believe, is brought on because of social media, and the rest of it just because of how our lives and way of living have changed over the past few decades.
     At the same time, our government keeps changing the rules about anti-anxiety medication making it more and more difficult to get the help we need. This used to cause me even more anxiety so I had to find other ways to cope, such as changing my diet, yoga, meditation, sound machines, therapists, breathing exercises, journaling. Even now, I take maybe half a pill a month but the doctor has had to reduce the amount he can give me. I see him twice a year in order to continue my prescription. I have to fill out two questionnaires, give a urine sample, and sign a form saying that I'm not selling my medication. It's insane. I feel like a criminal because I have this illness.
     I finally, finally took God's word to heart and have begun to pray whenever things start to feel overwhelming. He takes care of me. I know that when life seems to be bearing down on you it's difficult to think, "oh well, it'll all work out. God's got my back." But it is so true. God wants to help us. We just have to ask our loving Father in Heaven for help and guidance and strength.
     Yesterday, Pastor Brian preached an excellent sermon on Philippians 4:6-7 and it was just what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. (Isn't God awesome like that?!) And, I was reminded:

 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, 
with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 
and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, 
will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7 NKJV

*********
Please join me this week in praying for those who are anxious and for those who suffer from anxiety.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment