Monday, March 2, 2020

Pray for rest

Words aren't coming to me this morning; possibly because I'm tired, or possibly because God is making a point, or, a little from column A, and a little from column B. God did show me this Bible verse which is probably at the root of the problem:
It is in vain that you rise up early and go late to rest,
 eating the bread of anxious toil; for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Psalm 127:2 ESV

As I get older, I honestly feel like time is moving so much faster than it used to. There seems to be less time to get things done. Days seem shorter; weeks and even months are here and gone in a flash. The only remedy that I can see is to stay up later and get up earlier. Sacrificing sleep seems to be the only area in my life where I can squeeze out a few more minutes. Honestly, though, I just end up hitting the snooze button more times than before and then rush through getting ready for work which leaves me frazzled as I fight through traffic on the way to the office. This then sets the tone for the day and even sometimes for the entire week as one of feeling rushed, stressed, behind schedule.
     Then, God shows me something, like the bible verse above and I realize that my solution isn't working because it's my solution, not His. I need a certain amount of sleep each night. It may be more than others need, but that's okay. God is sovereign over all things and I can take everything to Him in prayer, and He will answer. If you need rest, pray about it. If you know someone who needs rest, pray for them. Rest is so important, and it isn't just sleeping. Rest is quiet time, stillness for our minds, our bodies, our souls.
     Our Lord created rest for a reason and even He takes time to rest, or at least He did one time that we know of:

And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, 
and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 
Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, 
because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Genesis 2:2-3 NKJV

*********
Please join me this week in praying for rest for the weary. Pray that they receive a peaceful heart and mind.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment