Wednesday, March 4, 2020

When pain prevents sleep

Some of my friends cannot sleep, cannot rest due to physical pain or illness. I was trying to find bible verses for them that tied in pain and rest and found these.
- Whenever I'm suffering, I always turn to Job. Nothing can compare to what he went through. Because of his pain, he couldn't possibly sleep.
- James tells us what to do when someone is sick.
- David finds he can rest in the midst of all he's going through because the Lord watches over him and protects him.
- There's a point when no matter what's keeping us from rest, we become so exhausted that our bodies say "enough" and we get that deep, restorative sleep that we need; even Jesus' human body had to give in to the exhaustion, so much so that He slept through a storm on the sea.

“And now my soul is poured out because of my plight;
The days of affliction take hold of me.
My bones are pierced in me at night,
And my gnawing pains take no rest.
Job 30:16-17 NKJV

Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer of faith will save the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
James 5:14-16 ESV

I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me.
Psalm 3:5 ESV

And Jesus said to him, “Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests, 
but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.”
Matthew 8:20 ESV
And behold, there arose a great storm on the sea, 
so that the boat was being swamped by the waves; but he was asleep.
Matthew 8:24 ESV

I don't know if this is helpful to my friends who are suffering, but just know that I am praying for you. May God give you rest.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for rest for the weary. Pray that they receive a peaceful heart and mind.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment