Sunday, August 16, 2020

Ask and it will be given

 Image by Mylene2401 from Pixabay

I wrote a month ago about how my husband's death got me to go to counseling. You can read it here, if you want. After that counselor, I was convinced of the benefits of seeing someone instead of just taking medication. We all need someone whom we can tell everything to and who won't then judge our friends and family based on things we say.
     Since the first therapist was specifically a grief counselor, I couldn't keep seeing her to deal with my PTSD, so I found someone through my insurance company's website. I didn't know what questions to ask or what qualities to look for, so I chose a person who had a great smile.
     Her methodology was 'talk therapy' in that I talked and she listened. (Really, talk therapy is psychotherapy which you can look up if you're interested). This didn't really work for me, but I didn't know any better and assumed this was just how it was done. After a couple of months, she quit, so I started asking people about their counselors and eventually met my current therapist. She uses multiple methods but what has been a miracle for me has been EMDR which is a means by which you use both halves of your brain to process something.
     Anyway, even with all of the craziness of 2019, I felt "cured". I was finally able to handle stuff. I got away from taking sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medicine. My relationship with God was deeper than it had ever been. Everything was good!
     Then, March 2020 hit and rattled me so intensely that all of the progress of the previous three years was totally undone. I don't even know why. Yes, the pandemic, lockdown, unemployment, isolation, etc...but why couldn't I handle it? Maybe I needed to be in the Bible even more, or in prayer even more. It seemed like those two things should've "fixed" everything. I felt like I shouldn't need to go back to my therapist because I was cured and my faith should get me through this hiccup in the road.
     I meditated on verses such as:
Casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7 ESV
I have said these things to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.”
John 16:33 ESV

I put off calling her for 5 months. Then, it occurred to me, why is this any different than any other illness? Does God tell us to not seek help when we're sick? If I had a toothache, would I feel like my faith alone should be the cure? God uses people, and earthly methods to help His children. In reality, I wasn't calling her because of my pride. It didn't make sense to me why I was feeling the way I did and I was trying to deal with it and fix it myself. I was using my faith as an excuse to shield my pride. Calling her was like admitting defeat.
     God revealed all of that to me just now. I didn't see it. All I knew was the lie I was telling myself all those months: I should be able to handle anything. Jesus says in Matthew 7:7, “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." He doesn't say how it will be given or by whom. So, please don't think that seeking a therapist is a sign of weakness; don't let it wound your pride or ego. Understand that therapists help us heal. They are a God-send to help us deal with this chaotic, sinful world. Pray for guidance to find the therapist who's right for you.

If you or anyone you know is suffering from any sort of mental condition, please reach out to someone. I encourage you to seek counseling; it has made a world of difference to me. Go to 
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists/ to search for a therapist in your area. You can then filter the results to show only Christian counselors, then by issues, gender, therapy methods (including EMDR), etc. if you want. Pray for the strength and courage to take this vital step to recovery.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for those who suffer from any type of mental illness. Pray that they will find strength and hope and comfort in the Lord. Let's also pray that they seek earthly counsel and aid.  
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

#7thHourPrayerPower #BibleVerses #bible  #depression #anxiety #testimony #Jesus #hope #help #MentalBreakdown #therapist #pandemic #InThisTogether

No comments:

Post a Comment