Sunday, January 5, 2020

Say it loud

Jesus prayed. He taught us how to pray and what to say.
     A quick google search tells us that the word "prayer" is used in the King James Bible 132 times.
There are several interesting tidbits of information about prayer at this website I found: The Gospel Coalition. It's a really quick read. I hope you'll check it out. Having a few pieces of data like this can come in handy as a conversation starter with a non-believer. Even those who don't believe are interested in statistics to a degree. (Aren't they? I am, so I just naturally assume everyone is).
     As for praying, we're told it's a private thing. I look at it as my conversation with God. I talk to Him as my Father, and I try really hard to listen for His answers. I also try to accept His answers and not bargain for the answer I want. Sometimes I'm afraid of an answer and therefore try to withdraw my question, but it's already out there and God knows that I know it, and that deep down, I really do want His answer.
     Since I've spent so much of my prayer life praying quietly within my head, when asked to say a prayer out loud, I was scared to death. Especially since when other people pray for a group, they always seem to have the right words, and don't stutter, and use jargon that I was unfamiliar with.  Their prayers almost sounded "professional" or at the very least, rehearsed (but they weren't). Once, a Pastor asked me if I wanted to pray or I wanted him to pray for us. I told him that my prayers don't sound like his and the elders' and he said that was okay.  He told me to just say what was on my mind. I was too nervous to do that, but I really appreciated the encouragement and to find out that I hadn't been doing it "wrong" that whole time.
     At another church, I felt compelled to say a prayer for the group, but I kept my mouth shut due to nervousness. Later, when I was alone with God, I asked myself, "what's the worse thing that could happen?" I might say something wrong and someone would laugh? So what?! I kept talking and praying about it so that the next time an opportunity came up (okay, to be honest, it was more like the third time an opportunity came up) I just started praying out loud. And you know what? Nothing catastrophic happened! The sky didn't fall; the earth didn't swallow me up. I finished the prayer and everyone left and a few people thanked me, even.
     Later, I had the thought, Satan can't hear what's in our heads, so he doesn't always know when I'm talking about him. If we want him to hear, we have to pray out loud even when we're praying in private. I want to be a prayer warrior. I want Satan to know that I'm onto him and that I'm not going to put up with his demoralizing, doubt-inducing tricks anymore.
     
     Everything takes practice before we're comfortable doing that thing that makes us nervous. I may hem and haw, or even stutter. I may not make sense. I may not even speak in complete sentences, but God knows what I'm trying to say in all circumstances, and the more I pray, the more comfortable I'll be praying aloud and the more comfortable I am, the more I'll pray. So, it's a win-win situation.

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
Matthew 6:5-8 NIV

*********
Please join me this week in praying for a life of prayer. God wants His children to come to Him with our needs, with praise, with thanksgiving. He wants us to be unceasing in our prayers. Talk to Him. He's always there for us.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment