Thursday, January 9, 2020

Compassion and Grief

The last few weeks of my dad's life were probably the hardest for me. Watching this man, who had been my pillar of strength my entire life, decline physically wretched my heart. He tried so hard to continue to do things himself, not wanting us to help him, but ultimately having to relent. Even the simplest things, like holding a cup were difficult for him to do and frustrating and heartbreaking for us to watch. At that point in life, having to bear oneself to the world, completely dependant on those around you must be so difficult. I know my time will come, as does everyones.
     He went through all of it valiantly. We were able to spend several weeks with him at home and celebrate one more birthday (81st). I read the Gospel of John out loud while he slept and while we waited for the Lord to take him. He went peacefully and is now free from depression and pain. I know he's with the Lord because God gave me a sign. (Yes, I had my doubts before then because I didn't know he had accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior). I miss him but am comforted with the knowledge that I'll see him again in Heaven.
Though God brings grief, 
he will show compassion, 
so great is his unfailing love. 
For he does not willingly bring affliction or 
grief to the children of men. 
Lamentations 3:32-33

*********
Please join me this week in praying for a caregiver. They need our prayers as much (if not more) than those they are caring for. Pray for them to have strength and patience. Pray for assistance for them if you can't be there to help. If the caregiver is you, pray to your Father for help and guidance and whatever your needs may be.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment