Thursday, January 2, 2020

The Lord's Prayer

I grew up memorizing the King James Version of several verses, including the Lord's Prayer. I remember when I got my first New Kings James Bible thinking how wonderful it was to have a Bible I could understand, but now whenever I read something in the KJV it doesn't seem as difficult as it did back then.
     Now, with all of the resources out there, I enjoy comparing different Bible versions, even going back to the Geneva Bible from 1599:
After this manner therefore pray ye, 
Our father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done even in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we also forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, 
but deliver us from evil: 
for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever. Amen.
Matthew 6:9-13 GNV

Jesus gave this prayer as an example of how we're to pray. 
  • Address our Father as Father, for we have an intimate relationship with Him.
  • Praise Him.
  • Give recognition that whatever we ask that we seek His will above our own want.
  • Ask for daily needs.
  • Ask for forgiveness for sin.
  • Help us to not sin, for He never gives us more trials than we can handle.
  • Help us to not let Satan manipulate us.
  • Praise God.

These are my thoughts on prayer based on what I've read from different commentaries, simplified and paraphrased. I encourage you to research it to understand better how we're to pray. It's not just a list of wants; it's recognizing our Father, His power and glory. It's giving thanks and praise. It's maintaining that intimate relationship with Him, staying in touch, checking in with Him every day.

*********
Please join me this week in praying for a life of prayer. God wants His children to come to Him with our needs, with praise, with thanksgiving. He wants us to be unceasing in our prayers. Talk to Him. He's always there for us.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment