Thursday, February 27, 2020

Emotional words virus

I love this image. It clearly shows how our anger and angry words spread to others. Our dispute may be with our spouse, but then each spouse may turn that anger onto their children who may turn their anger to their friends. It's true with other emotional speech as well. It's like a virus that spreads from person to person. Fortunately, the opposite emotions can be spread, also. A kind word, a compliment, can infuse positivity through the home, office, and other environments.
     Since I've been working on this where I've had the most difficulty in the past (at the office), I've already noticed a difference in others.
     One time my mom said "I don't like it when people say "Have a nice day." It sounds fake."
I said, "But, I say that."
She said, "Yeah, I know."
     Whether it sounds fake or not, I'll keep saying it because others respond to it; it makes them smile. Maybe those four little words spoken in the elevator will lift someone's spirits for the day and they'll say something encouraging to a co-worker who'll then be able to put a positive spin on a situation addressed in a meeting and all of those people, well, you get the picture.
     There are so many bible verses about our words which tells me it is something that God takes very seriously; so much so that we will be held accountable for it on the day of judgment.

I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,
For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”
Matthew 12:36-37 ESV

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, 
this person's religion is worthless.
James 1:26 ESV

Do you see a man who is hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.
Proverbs 29:20 ESV

For as long as I can remember, I had a banner in my bedroom with different colored happy faces on it (pink, blue, yellow) and a poem that I probably read about every single day. I still remember most of it, but had to look up the rest:
Begin the day with friendliness,
keep friendly all day long,
keep in your soul a friendly thought,
your heart a friendly song.
Have in your heart a word of cheer
for all who come your way,
and they will greet you too, in turn,
and wish you a happy day.
Have a nice day, my brothers and sisters in Christ :D

*********
Please join me this week in praying for God to give us positive, Christ-honoring language. Pray for wisdom and discernment. Pray that through our language, others will see Christ through us and be drawn to Him.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment