Monday, February 24, 2020

Pray for Christ-honoring language


It has been on my heart lately to do a better job of thinking before I speak. I've been paying more attention to what I say, and there are days when it's pretty negative. Some days it's gossipy. Some days I speak badly about others.
     We've been learning about Colossians in church and the lists of sins that Paul gives. Several are manifested in what we say. He wrote in Colossians 3:8 (ESV) But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
     "Obscene talk" isn't limited to cursing. (I've also learned that the "substitute" curse words still count as cursing, so I'm trying to watch that, also. Someone in my family used to say, "shoot, darn, heck, fire" which sounds harmless enough but the cursing is the reason or conviction that we're saying it for/with.)
     I was reminded of a sermon from 8 years ago; it touched me that much. The preacher spoke about just one verse: But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. Matthew 12:36 NKJV
     He told us to think about all of the negative things we say in a day. At the end of the sermon, he told us to be silent, close our eyes and imagine a world where we all only spoke in a way that was honoring to Christ. That means no negativity, no name-calling, no gossip, no tearing each other down. After a couple of minutes, someone from the congregation shouted out, "wow!"
     If you have two minutes this morning, do that for me and I'll do the same. Maybe through prayer and meditation, we can lift each other up and be a light to all those we come in contact with today. I would love to hear from you and find out what a difference it made.

And whatever you do, in word or deed, 
do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, 
giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Colossians 3:17 ESV

*********
Please join me this week in praying for God to give us positive, Christ-honoring language. Pray for wisdom and discernment. Pray that through our language, others will see Christ through us and be drawn to Him.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power


No comments:

Post a Comment