Saturday, February 15, 2020

The new self

It's scary praying some things like asking God to show you His will for you, or (even scarier) asking Him to show you your sin. Once He does that, then we really don't have an excuse to keep doing the sin, so it means having to give it up; but, that's difficult because we are sinners. We lie, get angry, lust, have trouble forgiving others ... but if we want to be more Christ-like, we have to at least try...
...To put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.
Ephesians 4:22-24 ESV

     When I was saved, I was a teenager. I was on fire for Christ and told others about Him and tried really hard to be "good." But over time, it was kind of like a new year's resolution and I started slipping backward. I knew I was saved and therefore God would forgive me no matter what, but I was missing the whole point of being an image-bearer of God. People back then probably looked at me as a hypocrite, and they had every right to. Unfortunately, I can't go back in time and change the past, but I can try to do better each and every day. Yes, it's reassuring to know that if (when) I mess up, God will forgive me, but the goal is to do the very best that I can so that maybe He doesn't need to spend as much time forgiving me.

“Why do you call me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do what I tell you?
Luke 6:46 ESV

*********
Please join me this week in praying to be more like Jesus, being His image-bearers to the unbelievers of the world that they may see Him through us.
I'll post daily reminders on:
twitter @7DegreesOfMe
Instagram @archadia27
Facebook group 7th Hour Prayer Power

No comments:

Post a Comment